Sunday, October 01, 2006

One Month Down, Three to Go

October 1st. I've finished one month of my internship, I'm almost twenty-five, and I have a phone call to answer on Tuesday about possible "career options" in the UK come January. I think I have the right to feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I had a lovely, if full, weekend these past two days. Mom and I went out to Kamp to cook for the fall supper. We arrived in separate vehicles Friday night, and I lef the kamp shortly after Mom on Saturday evening. The fall colours are amazing. I don't believe there is an artist alive or dead who could rival the Master's touch. My camera could not capture the day, though I tried, and words cannot come close to examining the individual leaves and masses of trees as they turn in the autumn air. God's artistry is awesome and inspiring, yet humbling. How can we as humans even think that we could create something "God-like"? We often forget we're to create works that honour our God, not attempt to rival his. Sure failure leads down the path of rivalry.

My classload is getting heavier, yet I'm attempting to add more extra-curricular at the same time. Things are going well at school. I'm feeling more and more comfortable about the expectations of the school and the university, and about the rituals and traditions of a rural school. Go Panthers Go! I'm really enjoying many of the students, and I believe the students who have been challenging me thus far have really come around. There will always be a few jerks, as there are a few in every classroom or boardroom of life, but those aren't my concern...yet. I still have to get it in my head that I have the power to send them to the hall, or to the office, or to detention...and have them go. I always thought that would be the easy part of teaching: If you're an idiot in class, get out. Now I realize that if I have a firm control of the class, there are very few idiots. As a student, you don't realize how much work teaching is. I mean, all they do is show up and talk, right? Even taking homeroom attendance stressed me out for a week. Administration? Teaching? Planning? Marking? They try to warn you at university that this will be a lot of work, but there can be no warning for this. I expect I'll sleep over the Christmas holidays. Holidays...that's a new thing!

Happy Birthday to Grandma Walter, Wade, and Marilyn. Hope the day is well. I blew out one candle today, and the rest I'll save until next weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadians, and to those who aren't, go cook a turkey anyways. It's good for you.

God Bless.

No comments: