Friday, October 14, 2011

Panama!

originally written for the blog:   http://yearofbeing30.blogspot.com

As I prepare for my trip to Panama tomorrow morning, I'm struck by how things have changed in the past twenty years.  Let's compare the packing lists:

Twenty Years Ago

  • books and books and books
  • colouring "stuff"
  • paper
  • more books
  • gameboy and games
  • discman (I think... it could have been my walkman...)
  • cd's  (or tapes...I don't remember when I received my first discman)
  • licorice
  • juice boxes
  • chips
  • anything that would make my bag as heavy as possible.
Today's Packing List
  • charged Ipod
  • charged camera
  • charged laptop
  • charged Blackberry
  • batteries, SD cards, cables
  • portable external hard drive
  • one book  (Third in the Millenium Trilogy)
  • passport
  • licorice  (some things never change! Thank you, Auntie Judy!)
  • chips
  • bottles of juice
  • cookies!
  • As little as necessary to be safe and travel "light" - it really has gotten lighter now that I'm not in my own vehicle!
It's very different traveling on your own.  For the past ten years, that's how I've done the majority of my traveling - Minneapolis, to Germany, to England, to Costa Rica.  I've been blessed with good friends to travel with in most of these countries, but I am excited about STARTING a journey with a friend.

Remember, it's a grand adventure.  Live it with all your heart!  

postscript:  Pictures will definitely follow.  

No comments: