Thursday, August 31, 2006

Picture Day!

Today is picture day at the school, and of course my hair isn't co-operating. I thought one was supposed to grow out of this sort of issue! At least the staff pictures are first thing in the morning...If they were after school there would be some interesting shots.

Adam arrived home last night just after ten, so we were able to visit a little bit before I crashed. I haven't seen him yet this morning, but given the time, I didn't expect to. He plans on doing the flooring thing today, which means moving all of the furniture of the laminate, pulling the flooring up, and putting back down in my room. He thinks I can be in my floored and painted room by Saturday. I'm thinking Monday would still be a generous estimate, taking into account the possible smell of paint. But, hey. If he's going to do it, I'm going to be encouraging. It looks like I will be painting after the football game tomorrow!

Wynyard is in town to play the Foam Lake Panthers in the exhibition game of the season. I know very little about football, but I'll be there. In fact, I think I'm helping run the canteen...I'm not sure what that entails, but I'll find out today I'm sure.

It has been an interesting week so far. I've taught my first lesson, so the creative writing class is now mine. I'm taking over grade seven French next week, though that doesn't look hard. All is good on the school front. The excitement has been here at home. I've been meeting the neighbours, but not in the usual way. The older lady that lives next to us has been seeing people across the street from her house, and she called the house at 3:30 am Monday night/Tuesday morning. That frightened me a bit, because she kept saying "Can you hear it?" Now, me being in a new house, listening for a strange sound is a sure way of hearing one. She had called the RCMP, so shortly after four am, I met Brent the RCMP. I expect he now thinks I'm crazy, as I couldn't tell him that my neighbour wasn't seeing things. I fell back asleep about 5 am, and that day at school seemed a little longer than usual.

The next episode, I'll call it, was Tuesday evening, blessedly at 8 pm rather than the wee hours. I went over to my neighbour's house after she called, saying those prowlers were back. She took me into her dark, exceptionally tidy little house, and all the way into her bedroom, and showed me the people out of her bedroom window. I'm afraid there wasn't anyone there. She tried to point out all four bodies she was seeing, but there was nothing to see. Even the fence she said they were near didn't exist. I told her that I would go and see if Gord, our other neighbour, would go for a walk with me so that she could see us over there, checking it out. He would, we did, and all we found were some oddly pruned bushes that I could hardly make out from the bedroom window. Gord and I reassured her that there was no one there, and that there was no danger.

She seems to be ok now. She didn't call last night. It must be hard to live alone, knowing that if anything does happen, if anyone does "prowl", one is completely vulnerable. I understand this isn't the first incident, and that her only close family is a son in either Saskatoon or Regina. I've been told not to expect to ever see him in the four months I'm here for. We'll see what happens next. I hope everything turns out for the better.

G2G. We can't be late for picture day, now can we?

No comments: