Monday, August 28, 2006

First Day of School

Ok, so MY first day of school was last Thursday. I met the staff at Foam Lake Composite School, where I'll be interning this fall. It seems like a great group to work with so far. There are a wide range of skills and ages present, so I'm sure to learn a lot about teaching, and surviving in the profession.

Today was the first day of school where the students were present. For a small school, there seemed like a lot of kids! I have classes ranging from 14 to 29, in grades seven and eight, and eleven and twelve. There are only two grades that I'm not teaching a subject to, but it's likely I'm teaching one of their siblings or cousins. I'm starting to recognize some common last names. Now if I could only remember the staff, and who teaches what!

I'm completely moved out of Regina, and partially moved into the house here in Foam Lake. My room still needs a bit of work, like flooring and painting, and maybe a bed, so I'm bunking in Nathaniel's room at present. This is just fine, as they are away at present, but I don't think Nathaniel will be willing to share once they get home. It's just my thought. He has to share his toys with the kids in the daycare. That's enough sharing for one little guy! Anyhow, my stuff is in various places in the house, not to mention the garage. Five or six boxes, and maybe even my computer will end up at the school for the duration, but there's still a "bit" of clothing and a "few" boxes left here. You should see my room at the farm if you think I have stuff here!

I start teaching for real on Wednesday, starting with the Creative Writing class. I have a bit of tweaking to do before then, but I think I should be set at least until Monday. We'll see if I feel the same Wednesday night! It should be a very interesting class, with a wide range of skills in my students. I'm interested in finding out if their interests are as varied. It's why the curriculum is vague.

Anyhow, 7 am seems to get earlier and earlier, so I'm off. Like I've said before, my intention is to update this regularily. Intention, not requirement. To sleep, perchance to dream.

No comments: