Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Freckles

There's a week left before school starts, and I've been working with a little guy in Prep for the past week and a half at school, mainly with English conversation.  He's a smart kid, and we're having fun, even if I have to be Dr. Octopus every time we play Spiderman.  I think I need to watch Spiderman Three, as he keeps referring to himself as black, red and white, all at the same time.  I don't get it.

Today, after we were finished, I was catching up with a few people I hadn't seen since December brought the end of school.  I had been hoping for a comment like, "You're so tanned!"  or  "Wow, you look good with a little colour."  Nope.  I received, "You have freckles! You've been to the beach!"  Thankfully, I think freckles are kind of cute, and I do have many more freckles now than I did in December, so it was completely appropriate.  As I will never pass for stunning or gorgeous, I'd say cute is reasonable.

How did I get the freckles?  They are courtesy of Manuel Antonio, and my aunt and uncle.  Gene and Susan, with Allen and Judy, have been in Costa Rica (and Manuel Antonio) since January 3rd.  They fly home tomorrow, but while they were here I was able to crash their vacation for a number of days.  They stayed in a lovely resort, and spoiled me rotten.  Excellent food, "Spa" hikes, and even deep-sea fishing were all things I was blessed with on top of their company.  I know now that a Monkey Business is a great thing.  Who would have thought that bananas and Baileys would be so good!

I've posted some pictures below of the wildlife we spotted around the villa, and in the National Park.   We saw more birds from our balcony than in the park, and the monkeys were sitting on our chairs down at the beach!  At the bottom is a "video"; It's really just the cover of the album, but I've included it as it is the theme song for Gene and Susan and this holiday.  Highly appropriate, I think.  Life is good today.

Look at all the geckos!




Estelle, our guide, coaxed this hermit crab right out of his shell.


A family of bats

More bats, different family.

Small Blue Heron -- I think.

You can't see it, but he's eating from a chip bag.

Jesu Christo Lizard, but he's too big to walk on water anymore!

Just for Estelle; she had fun pointing out that the Howler monkey is male.


Laughing Falcon

His head is blue; I can't remember his name, but it has something to do with that.




Allen and his Sailfish



Gene and his Sailfish



2 comments:

Colleen said...

Great to read about your adventures, Erin.
Fabulous photos - thanks for sharing. Miss you!!!!!

Carolyn Ward said...

Thanks for the pics!! Good to see what you're seeing...