Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Roads

Here I am in Denver, Colorado, waiting for my flight to San Jose, Costa Rica. It's about 7:30-ish, and my flight doesn't leave until just after midnight. It's strange to be in this "in-between." I'm far from home, yet I'm not anywhere else. I'm excited about being in San Jose, yet apprehensive about starting a new job in a new culture that speaks a new language. I can't wait to meet and make new friends, but I'm concerned about the family members at home who aren't well. As I told Mom, I wish I could bring the old people with me. It's always about choice, isn't it. Life must be lived, and I can't be in more than one place at a time.

I've decided that if I'm ever rich, I'm going to job shadow people for a couple weeks at a time. It doesn't matter the job; I want to know a bit about everything. As we landed in Denver this afternoon, I could watch the guy with the orange batons directing the plane into position. I realized that I want to know what all the signals mean, and how he knew when to do what. Could I discover this information in a book, or online? Most assuredly. But wouldn't it be more fun to try it? To follow someone around and learn how to do it for real?
As I'll never likely be overly wealthy, this is a bit of a dream, but remember: dreams have to come true occasionally.

Best line of the trip so far: To a small child in a stroller: "It's airplane rules; we have to go potty or they won't let us on the plane."

Best sight so far: The biggest thunderhead clouds I've ever flown through. I didn't see any lightning, but some were definitely dark. Awesome, in the old terms meaning awe-inspiring.

Funniest thing so far: Sitting, eating my supper from BK, and a woman pulls a knife out of her carryon and asks how that got there! Her teenage children: "Mom! Stop waving that thing around! You'll get arrested!" We weren't through security yet, obviously, and I had to ask where they were headed, just to make sure they weren't headed my direction! Plenty of giggling, and the knife ended up in the garbage. TSA wouldn't be letting that go through!

Ok, more when I'm in San Jose, and settled in a bit. I can't wait to see the colours.

E

No comments: