Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to Make a Cake in Costa Rica

We have a staff get together tomorrow at Linda's, our Director.  It's officially called "Beer and Bocas", which literally translated out of Spanglish means Beer and Mouths.  Essentially, it's a potluck with the drinks provided.  I like potlucks, I like eating, and I won't turn down the occasional drink.  Only problem?  What can I bring to a potluck when I don't have a single baking/cooking item in the house?

First, I explore.  I discover an 8 inch cake pan in my cupboard.  Fantastic.  I go up to the AM/PM Mercado on the corner and buy a cake mix, something that looks like canola oil (I think it's actually soy...) and some icing.  I thinking, this is great.  I have everything I need for some simple brownies.  I buy an empanada for supper, and a can of Pepsi, and we're set.

The next challenge?  Discovering that my oven works in Celsius temperatures.  I have four options:  140 degrees on top and bottom, 310 degrees on top and bottom, and then 210 degrees on either the bottom or top.  I cook in Farenheit, as does Betty Crocker, according to the recipe instructions.  Google saves the day, and I end up switching between 140 and 310 in order to get to about 350 degrees farenheit.  Problem solved.

Have you ever tried to measure cooking oil without a measuring cup?  Didn't think of that.  When I moved in, I was excited to have plates and bowls; I didn't look for baking supplies.  I eyeballed the oil after finding out if I was at a high enough altitude to need to change the recipe (I still don't know...I was praying by this point.)  The tablespoons of water were measured with the tablespoon that you eat with, and doubled when it didn't look right.  Mixed up, it looked like brownie mixture, so I dumped it in the greased pan, and threw it in the oven.  At least ny microwave is in English and I could set the timer.  Now just to wait.

Toothpicks.  I don't know about you, but I was raised to check a cake's completion with a wooden toothpick.  If it sticks, it's not done.  Toothpicks were NOT on any of my shopping lists thus far, nor were potholders.  A clean towel and, get this, a crochet hook stood in for the more traditional tools.

The cake is on my counter, cooling so I can ice it.  I don't think I'll taste it until tomorrow night.  It LOOKS done...

Post Script:  I was disappointed to see I couldn't buy any squeezable icing.  I"ll explain sometime!

No comments: