Monday, April 04, 2011

Here's Cassie!


This is Cassie.  She is wonderful, terrible, and everything in between.  She shares my apartment, or rather, tolerates me when I'm home.  The veterinarian places her at about 5 months, based on the way she was teething when I brought her in to be spayed.  She plays, she attacks (especially my feet) and she cuddles when she chooses.  Waking up to find her staring at me has become a regular thing.  We have a morning cuddle, and then food is necessary.  She's far more effective than an alarm clock, especially if she hasn't let me clip her nails in a while.

Cassie comes from the province of Alajuela, near Volcan Poas.  I would have named her Ash, or Shadow, but she came with the name Cassandra.  Since that's a little long for such a little kitten, she only hears Cassandra when she's in trouble. Marcela and I had gone to see the volcano on a day trip, which turned into a cloudy, misty day at that altitude.  They tell me there's a crater...Anyhow.  We went for lunch at La Casita de Dona Julia in Alajuela.  As we got out of the vehicle, there was a tiny gray kitten curling itself around our feet, meowing and purring to be picked up and petted.  I, of course, couldn't resist and indulged both myself and the kitten.  Not speaking enough Spanish to ask about where the kitten came from, I relied on Marcela to translate for me and the owner of the casita.  Cassie did have people feeding her, but, from what I understood, not a permanent home.  The owner had a new baby in the home, and the little human was demanding more attention than the little kitten.  The offer:  If I could and would provide a home for the kitten, I could take her.  Just like that.

Ok, a few things to consider.  One, my landlady doesn't like the idea of animals in her apartments. (She now asks about Cassie every time she stops by.)  Two, I'm pretty allergic to cats.  (We're doing fine so far!  Maybe warm climate cats shed less?  Just a theory.) Three, how would we get the kitten home?

Marcela was a darling.  She's a dog person, yet she trusted me to keep Cassie with me in the car.  Cassie spent most of the time sitting on my shoulder, purring and watching the world go by, though not before exploring the vehicle and crying on my lap.  She has continued the shoulder habit; when she gets her shots, she ends up tucked into my neck after she's released from the vet's grip.  Marcela and I dropped Cassie off at my apartment, shut into the tiny bathroom, and then we went and bought everything a tiny kitten could possibly need.   Coming home, Cassie set about exploring her new home, and eating everything I set in new, blue dish.

Cassie and I are getting along just fine.  There are certain things I would have liked to have trained her not to do (knocking my toothbrush off the windowsill, chewing on my shoes/socks/feet, and licking my nose in the morning) but time will tell if it's too late.  I think she's pretty smart, but then, I'm biased.  She entertains me, tolerates me, and occasionally shows me how much she loves me by drooling with pleasure while she's purring on my lap.  I keep her fed, supplied with toys and things to hide in, and I try not to laugh to loudly when she's goofy. (It hurts her pride. Really.)

I'm sure Cassie will be a common theme from now on, or at least mentioned throughout.  She's had her rabies shot, so she's "legal" to enter Canada with me when I come home to stay.  If only it was that easy for the rest of us to travel!

No comments: